8 Factors Comprising the Flow ExperiencePosted by BestPractices on July 5 2011
Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi identified eight factors comprising the flow experience. These fundamental elements constitute the basis of flow as described in his original research.
1. Goals have clarity.
2. Feedback is immediate and clear.
3. Challenges are evenly matched with skills required.
4. A feeling of intense focus develops.
5. You escape “inward and forward”- the periphery recedes.
6. You are in control, but “on the edge.”
7. Self-consciousness disappears, but returns even stronger.
8. The sense of time seems transformed.
Want to learn more about flow? Take a look at this book: Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience (1990)
There are no upcoming speaking engagements.